Thursday, September 15, 2011

Remembering 9/11


This nation's remembrance of 9/11 was deeply moving and profoundly sobering. The images from that day in 2001 flooded our television screens. The sounds and voices heard that day reverberated once again across the airways.

I take away two things from my experience of this tenth anniversary. First, the question of most interest to me was not: where were you on 9/11? Rather it is: where are you today? While we must not forget, we must not remain there. Creativity in response is demanded.

Second, I will long remember the President of the United States, Barack Obama, reading Psalm 46. Across this entire week, I have noticed that Yahoo has listed the psalm in its "trending" space. Psalm 46 indeed provides comfort to those who have suffered violently. May we find hope in the psalm's meaning and God in the midst of us!

No comments:

Post a Comment